Savor the delicious home made energy bars as you break the fast with this quick and easy recipe by The Coffee Club
What do you need to prepare delicious home made energy bars?
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
- 2½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4½ cups oats (use organic whole rolled oats and soak according to instructions below)
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 cup sprouted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 10 oz. bag of soy-free mini chocolate chips
- 1½ cups sprouted flour
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- Add oats to a large bowl with 4½ cups warm water and ½ cup lemon juice. Allow oats to soak in water mixture for at least 7 hours or overnight. When soaking is complete, drain off as much excess liquid as possible.
- Beat together honey, nut butter, coconut oil, vanilla and eggs in a BIG bowl.
- In another large bowl, mix all remaining ingredients (including soaked oats) with a wooden spoon. Add this mixture to ingredients that were beaten in the BIG bowl. Mix well.
- Spread into a large greased baking sheet with sides. Pat mixture down evenly with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Bake at 325° for about 45 minutes or until light golden brown. Let sit for 20 minutes, then place parchment paper over top and roll with a rolling pin to compress.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into desired size, wrap, and freeze. Bars will also keep in a sealed container at room temp for 1-2 weeks.