1½ tablespoons butter
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
2 potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
3 cups chicken or prawn stock
400g/14 oz can creamed corn
1 cup milk
3 cups shelled shrimp, coarsely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Tabasco or chilli sauce, optional
Crusty bread, sliced
Garlic or herb butter
- Melt the butter in a pan; add the white parts of the spring onion and the bay leaf and sauté till soft.
- Add the potato and stir to mix. Add the stock and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes till the potato is tender.
- Make a paste of the flour and a little milk. Add the creamed corn, remaining milk and the flour paste and cook, stirring for 5 minutes till the mixture thickens. Adjust with more stock or water if necessary.
- Add the shrimp and cook until cooked through. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco or chilli sauce. Remove the bay leaf.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with spring onion greens. Serve with crusty bread.
Preparation Time : _10__ minutes
Cooking Time : 15__ minutes
Spice Index : 2 (On a scale of 1 to 5)
Labour Index : 2 (On a scale of 1 to 5)
Recipe Provider – Rita D’souza