1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, sliced
2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
3 Kaffir lime leaves
1 stalk lemongrass, bruised and cut into 3 large pieces
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
300 grams /12 oz boneless chicken, cut into ½-inch cubes
200 grams /7 oz shiitake or button mushrooms, sliced
2 bird’s eye chillies
1 cup unsweetened coconut cream
Juice of 2 limes
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 spring onions, finely sliced
4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
Sliced fresh red chillies
- Heat the oil in a deep pan; add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute.
- Add the curry paste, lime leaves and lemongrass, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms and 2 bird’s eye chillies and cook until the chicken is tender.
- Stir in the coconut cream and cook for a minute, without letting the soup boil. Add the lime juice and fish sauce and adjust the seasoning. Remove the lemon grass and ginger before serving.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and sprinkle with spring onions and coriander.
Preparation Time : 20___ minutes
Cooking Time : _30_ minutes
Spice Index : 3 (On a scale of 1 to 5)
Labour Index : 3 (On a scale of 1 to 5)
Recipe Provider – Rita D’souza