Bringing to you a super easy and super quick way to prepare a dish with a not-so-popular vegetable and turning it into a delicious blend of health and taste
Okra a.k.a Lady’s Fingers is known for its health benefits. It has a high fibre, vitamin C and folate content. Apart from being high in antioxidants, it is also a good source of calcium and potassium. Despite these qualities, it consistently ranks at the top in the list of the world’s most hated vegetables! Not surprisingly, though. Its outward appearance isn’t that appetising, and when you finally cut the vegetable, it oozes a sticky, slimy juice that manages to kill whatever little appetite you have left. Too bad, because okra has a lot to offer.
That’s why, the DinnerTime Team brings to you a recipe that combines okra with a delicious as well as healthy ingredient, fish. Here’s what you will need to prepare ‘Fish Curry with Okra Chips’.
For the Okra Chips:
- 400 grams okra
- 5 tablespoons pakora mix
- Cooking oil
For the Fish Curry:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 600 grams white fish fillets
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Madras curry paste (as per taste)
- 400 gram can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of rice (approximately 4 servings)
Method of Preparation:
1. Cook the rice in 2 cups of water and keep ready.
2. Wipe the okra with a damp kitchen towel, then trim away its ‘tops’ and ‘tails’. Slice the pieces lengthwise into quarters. Scatter the pakora mix on the okra and mix through.
3. Heat the oil for the okra on moderate high heat in a large saucepan. Add all or half of the okra, depending on the size of your pan. Fry for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the okra becomes crispy and golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, chop the onion and the garlic for the fish curry. Cut the fish into smaller pieces using kitchen scissors. Dissolve the stock cube in 200 ml of water.
5. Heat 1 tbsp. of oil on medium heat and fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and the stock. Bring to a simmer, then add the fish. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the fish flakes easily.
6. Serve the curry with the okra chips and the rice.
Do try out this healthy and simple way to include okra in your meals and let us know how you liked it!
Recipe contributed by DinnerTime.
- Pakora Mix is an Indian, naturally gluten free Tempura batter mix made of seasoned and spiced Chickpea flour. It is quite mild in flavour, but adds a delicious crunch to vegetables and cheeses when they are dusted with it and then fried.
- Remember to keep the knife and chopping board dry when cutting the okra, and don’t stir it more than necessary, or the okra will become very gummy!